From 1st April 2018 we will be moving to an online application process.
ACT gives large and small donations to charities depending on the project and available funds. Our current priorities are projects that make a transformational change and have a high level of impact on individuals, their families and communities. Larger grants (in excess of £100K) will be the exception.
Applications by Registered Charities and Overseas Charitable Organisations have to be by way of letter on the organisation's headed paper and should:
- Give a brief description of your organisation including any statutory or voluntary registration.
- Provide a summary of the work you plan to undertake with the grant, together with a cost breakdown, plans and/or specification if available and a summary of the key milestones for the work.
- Provide information on why you need to do this work and what would happen if you were unable to do it.
- Give details of any other support received or pledged for your project.
- Specify what you expect the results of the work to be and the number of beneficiaries helped.
- Tell us how you plan to evaluate whether the work achieved its goals.
- Tell us if the work will require capital and/or ongoing operational funding and if so how you plan to meet these costs.
In addition, you need to attach a signed copy of our Terms and Conditions to your application and the following financial information:
- A cashflow projection of income and expenditure budget for the work.
- Details of any income already raised for the work and income outstanding and where you plan to raise it from.
- Your latest annual report and accounts.
- We will only accept postal applications and are unable to accept applications sent by e-mail.
Any offer of a grant by ACT will typically be made on the terms of a Letter of Grant, which we will prepare.
- To charities that have not been registered for at least three years;
- To an Overseas Charitable Organisation unless the project is carried out under the control of a UK registered charity for which there are at least three years audited financial statements and which can be held legally to account for the utilisation of grants made to it;
- Which would replace statutory funding;
- Which would pay for work that has already commenced or equipment already purchased or on order;
- Towards the operating costs of other charities except in connection with the setting up of new services;
- For projects which promote a particular religion or faith;
- To Community Centres and Youth Clubs except where those who will benefit are in special need of help (e.g. the elderly or persons with disabilities);
- To Local Authorities;
- To umbrella or grant-making organisations except where they undertake special assessments not readily available from our own resources;
- To universities and colleges and grant maintained, private or local education authority schools or their Parent Teacher Associations, except if those schools are for students with special needs;
- For costs associated with political or publicity campaigns.
We welcome applications for grants from all sections of the community and decisions on prioritisation are made having regard to funding levels and never on grounds of gender, age or race.
You can apply for a grant at any time and for any amount however at the time of sending your application to us, you must confirm your acceptance of our Grant Terms & Conditions by signing at the bottom of the page and enclosing a copy with your application. Trustees meet four times a year but procedures exist to give approvals between meeting dates if necessary.
We do not publish the dates of Trustees' meetings.
We will send you an acknowledgement letter within 10 working days following receipt of your application at our office. If your application does not include the required information, is ineligible or of a low priority we will advise you in this letter.
We will assess all acceptable applications and we may contact you for further information and may ask for a presentation or request a visit.
We aim to make a decision on all of our grants within 4 months.